Sunday 6 March 2022

For the record...

... I also stand with Ukraine.

There will be those who say that it doesn't really matter if I, personally, say this. And those people may well have a point. I don't know that me, personally, saying this will change much of anything.

But I still think that it matters that I, personally, do say this. Yes, simply saying this is a purely symbolic gesture, the ultimate in virtue signalling... but doing it does, at the very least, acknowledge that standing with Ukraine is a virtue worth signalling. In a world where some people are openly rooting for the bad guys, that's worth doing, even if it means agreeing with Mike Pence.

And if you want to do a little bit more than merely send a virtuous signal, may I recommend to you the Red Cross' Ukraine Crisis fund-raising campaign? In Canada, the federal government was matching all donations up to the $10 million CAD mark, but it looks like they've already blown past that. Still, matched or not, I'm guessing every little bit will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment