Wednesday 28 April 2021

As a Gen-Xer, I have never felt so seen as I do in this moment

Why, you ask? This op/ed, that's why:

I'm a member of generation X, the cohort born from 1965 to 1980. We were unsupervised latchkey kids, coolly ironic and cynical slackers, raised in that different time when MTV still played music videos. We rode BMX bikes and solved supernatural mysteries with our friends before growing up to be overeducated and underemployed. 

We're sandwiched between Boomers and Millennials, and are often called to side with one against the other in a war we're apathetic about.

Don't take it too hard, Boom-llennials. It's a gen X thing. We're apathetic about everything. Except, apparently, vaccinations.

It goes on in that style a while, and OMG, I wish I'd written that piece, because it describes me to a T. As did this part:

When I became eligible last week, it brought back the pre-pandemic rush of buying concert tickets. The website kept throwing appointment times at me, but when I clicked accept the slot was already gone. I kept slamming refresh like there were Smashing Pumpkins tickets at stake. I was happy to finally snag a ticket and didn't care which vaccine it was. It's like a live concert in my arm. [...] When I went to my appointment, there was a sea of plaid shirts and Doc Martens waiting to put the X in vax. It looked like the line for the porta-potties at Lollapalooza.

Yep... that was exactly what it looked like. I was literally buzzed with excitement when I got up that morning, too.

So why are the most famously disaffected slackers in history leading the vaccine charge? How did it become punk to form an orderly queue to get legal drugs? Did Ethan Hawke and Winona Ryder have anything to do with this? 

I guess we grew up. We're no longer jobless college grads living in our parents' basements watching Heathers. We had kids and found work-life balance. We're rated very high in workplace productivity. My 19-year-old self would mutter under his breath that we're sellouts.

I guess I'm a sellout, then, because this was exactly my experience. Don't worry; you don't have to understand. It's a gen X thing.

Seriously, go give the entire piece a read. It's priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment